Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day

Mother's Day is just around the corner, so I knew I had to buckle down and get a card made! I'm hoping to find a matching bouquet of flowers, all in purples and soft greens, to go with it. Hopefully the flower shops won't be entirely bare by the time I'm able to get to one!

I used SU!s Perfect Plum, Pale Plum, Certainly Celery, and Very Vanilla CS. The front panel consists of...


  • a 5-1/4" x 4" Perfect Plum panel on which I clear-embossed the fleur-de-lis stamp from Friends 24-7. I first saw this technique over at http://www.kwernerdesign.com/. I also wrapped a section of Certainly Celery ribbon around the bottom and sponged the edges with Perfect Plum ink.

  • The focal image was stamped with Memento ink and coloured with watercolour pencil crayons and a blender pen. (This image has two encores: inside and on the envelope.) I die-cut the image with a Classic Oval Nestability, and sponged the edges with Pale Plum and Perfect Plum ink. Then I die-cut and embossed a Classic Scalloped Oval out of Pale Plum CS and mounted the image with dimensionals.
The inside started with a 5-1/4" x 4" Perfect Plum panel that I trimmed with the scallop edge punch and sponged with Perfect Plum ink. (The centre of the oval is blurry because I wrote a note to my mom before I took the picture.) I added...

  • custom-dyed ribbon (made by swiping Whisper White ribbon over my Perfect Plum ink pad). I used a sponge to hold the ribbon down without getting my fingers absolutely purpled up!

  • I threaded the ribbon through a Hodgepodge Hardware frame in which I had stamped 'mama' on Very Vanilla paper, lightly sponged all over with Pale Plum.

  • a 3-3/8" x ~4" panel of Certainly Celery; this one also got the spongy treatment!

  • a Nestabilites Classic Oval, die-cut and embossed, on which I wrote my message to my Mama. The edge of the oval is gently sponged with Perfect Plum ink.

  • the same floral image from Friends 24-7, coloured in the same way, cut out with small, sharp scissors.
Happy Mother's Day, Mama!

1 comment:

Carol A said...

I so love this card! Looking for one to case for Mother's Day and found it so quickly! Thanks for the lovely inspiration! Carol